The company was founded in 1814 by Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther in Hohenberg Bavaria Germany.
He had previously worked at factory in lichte. After his death in 1845, the factory was run by his widow Johanna Hutschenreuther and her two sons.
From 1860, they produced hand-painted gilded porcelains.
A large part of the factory was destroyed by a fire in 1848, but it was rebuilt.
In 1857 the world famous son went ahead and bought premises in Selby.
They expanded from 1902 to 1969 and were renamed Porzellanfabriken Lorenz Hutschenreuther AG Selb (Lorenz Hutschenreuther Porcelain Factories Company, Selb).
Lorenz went on to acquire other pottery houses making this a big business and attracted famous artists through its doors like Karl Tutter whom known for he’s mastery at creating cherub and Angel pieces also made the occasional animal piece and made a couple of bulldog variations.
Hutschenreuther also made bulldogs but as they were more mass produced the quality wasn’t of a high standard but did make many a beautiful bespoke piece.
The best pieces to come from this company were usually made by guest artists for the company.